Sunday, July 23, 2017

ATTN: Developers, PR & Publishers

What I'm about to share is in no way a pompous, or self-promoting dig at how game industry providers pick, and choose which outlets get review material. I understand where they come from on some things, but not everything. I've often times stated how view count is not the tell all standard when it comes to product success. With outlets using clickbait article titles, and offering up chances at winning expensive/noteworthy prizes it's no wonder they have an impressive view count. What they lack though should also be held to account. That is the lack of an audience that agrees with them, or understands them. An audience, though engaging, which amounts to nothing more than trolling and calling them out for the misguided journalists that they are. I have a beef with this not because I'm jealous, but because such outlets overshadow those of us lesser outlets who really put the work in, and who have a genuine following of viewers, and readers.

Industry providers have a choice. At the end of the day PR can gamble away their chances with these bigger, lacking outlets for sheer exposure (exposure which which happens regardless of their critique), or they can help guys like me help them. By that I mean in lifting up the lesser outlets, and promoting them to the point they get the views they desire they will not only get the views, but they will get quality reviews more freely. I personally work for peanuts, a game for a review. Bigger outlets though leech off of the success or sometimes lack of success of those who impart on them review material, and early/exclusive access to games/game events. They bank big money on ad revenue, and views while the developers often times struggle to make ends meet.

Of course, if that's what you think works as a game developer, publisher, or PR then by all means go for it. Rest assured though that sales numbers never lie. It makes me think of that bot tweet that I often see on Twitter, "There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damned lies & statistics". Statistics, as they were are nothing more than guess work when figuring out audience reach in regards to final sales figures. As far as audience engagement goes I engage very well with my audience on Twitter because it's easier to chat about things on that platform than it is on my blogs. They share what I review often, and multiple times over. Also my Twitter audience is decently large with quality followers, and weeded out bots/moochers. I call them my family, and that's exactly what they are to me. They also feel the same about me. I doubt very seriously the bigger review outlets are that close to their audience. Again, big numbers don't necessarily mean that they are in tune with what really matters, and that is their audience. I've personally noticed how detached bigger outlets are with their audiences, and how they value their personal business partners more than their audience. To them their audience is more, or less a cash cow. Here at the Inferno though I mean what I say when I say that I consider my followers family. I always engage with them on a more personal level while merely sharing my industry insight as a means to bond over something we all care about. I'm not the only lesser outlet to do so either.

In closing I will say this ... Don't let the number crunching lead you to gamble your hard work away. Sometimes, even in an established business, you have to have a little faith in what seems impossible to reach those greater goals. Promote that which promotes you or that which, at the very least, sets you on the path of greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A wise man leaves wise words in his wake, but a foolish man leaves foolish words. Please be wise with what you say in the comments below, and bless this blog with comments worth keeping. If you should choose the foolish path though know that it will only serve to let the world know how foolish you really are.