Friday, July 5, 2024

Zenless Zone Zero | A Review In Progress

As a weeb/otaku I've been hyped for ZZZ since it was first showcased. As equally as I was hyped I was briefly letdown when news of delays, and potential abandonment due to poor PC adoption made the headlines. I was actually worried it would never come to consoles. Thankfully it did though ...

Having gotten into the game yesterday, and after having spent a good amount of time on it today my opinion is greatly positive in regards to what I've experienced. The blend of stylized combo based combat, business management, and roguelike elements blends well in a cohesive and complimentary fashion. 

It feels like a JRPG with a slight visual novel nod complete with a properly thought out battle system. Though heavy handed in storytelling, and character banter it is that side of things that makes me like the game's story and characters all the more. It makes me want to keep playing to see where things are going.

While there is definitely a microtransactions side to the gameplay equation all is not lost to the freeloader. You can still grind and unlock things gaining the currencies and materials needed to upgrades skills, and equipment as well as to try your luck at the gacha prizes. The gacha this time around includes chances at limited time characters, and w-engines. Helping you to have something outside of what is offered in basic in-game commissions. 

Being the cyberpunk anime game that it is the lore, and it's technical intricacies make for an engaging audio and textual experience. I am aware that some might be put off by all the tech talk, but t adds to the hacker heist side of the story. Making it impressively more believable for such an out of this world fiction. 

When it comes to combat things aren't so off putting they're hard, but more so lie in the more casual category. Once you learn how to use the two attacks, execute the ultimate attack, dodge, and swap out characters on the fly you'll be set to beat just about anything thrown your way. The combat, itself, is fast, fluid and flawless from what I've experience, and for whatever reason the visuals in 4K HDR do not put a strain on my console at all. It is a beautiful flashy spectacle to behold, and equally as so during the story event cutscenes. The game looks and plays amazingly. I am not disappointed.

Seeing as I'm only early into the game these are my current impressions, and partial review points. I feel this kind of experience needs ongoing critique, and I will more than gladly provide that. I'll also be uploading companion gameplay videos to my Youtube channel, regularly. If you want I can also do some Twitch livestreams. Just let me know over on X if that's something you'd be into. I know not everyone is as sold on ZZZ as I am currently, but to each their own. I personally feel the game met my expectations, and exceeded them, honestly.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to what you have to say. Keep it clean, and keep it real. I will reply as soon as I can. Thanks for stopping by!!!